Re: [Debconf-team] [rt.debconf.org #37] New www.debconf.org layout

On 10698 March 1977, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

>> The content for this is easy to create, and later easy to extend, more
>> important is the actual design and maybe a logo.
> i am not sure how important that design really is.

As www.debconf.org is the most logical place for people to go if they
look for info about Debconf, judge yourself. :)

It should be, if it gets done, a central point of information of
everything (interesting for the normal visitor) in the .debconf.org
domain. Linking old (and upcoming) DebConfs, maybe linking even further
in the future of places that applied for future DebConfs, linking our
lists, our gallery, giving out contact addresses (more than just this
list, ie like press@, admins@, gallery-admins, ....). Oh, not forgetting
talking about what a DebConf actually is, the goals begind it, maybe
some random writeup from people who worked on DebConf in the past why
they did it (ie a "History" site). One could also imagine a site talking
about sponsoring DebConf ("why should X do it?", "how?", lala).

> if you explained more about the goal (when and in which situations to
> use it, rather then the current debconf site, who should see it, etc)
> we could decide if it is important and what message (corporate
> identity wise) it should carry.

At least www.debconf.org. I guess one could reuse it (or adapt) for
other services that dont change yearly, like lists, gallery, the wiki
thats planned, ie everything "non-local" to a running DebConf.

> If you want the portal to be important and have it used a lot, it
> should *of course* fit in with future debconf designs, otherwise you
> get the dreaded patchwork effect that makes it a half-ass-job.

Well. IMO the debconfX.debconf.org can be a bit different, wouldnt hurt
much, but depending on the design parts of it can be reused there, yes.

> The alternative is to make an efford to integrate style and logo
> of the brand "Debconf" into every coming debconf style (and
> logo?). That would be nice, but i am unable to judge how hard
> that is and if it would limit the future's designers freedom to
> come up with a design for the coming debconf or if it would
> perhaps even be a welcome guideline. We should ask someone who
> knows. (yellow pages, anyone? :-)

Well. I cant tell how hard it is to come up with a design based on
something else.

> here you write that it should be neutral to Debconfs. So far all
> logos of earlier debconfs had some form of swirl in it. so the
> debian swirl could be such a logo and would come for free.

Sure, thats why I said we can use that, and also the "debian" thing,
just replace the ian with conf in that graphic. Thats the most simple
approach.

> Concluding: If the portal, it's style and logo is important, do
> it properly. a "little" design contest would most likely not be
> enough. If it is not important, why have it? why introduce it and
> create a generic Debconf brand in the first place? A way around
> this could be to integrate the info you mention above into the
> layout of future debconf websites.

A design contest would IMO bring us a lot of different ideas and
probably also something we like. If not then we just lost a bit of
time.[2]

Integrating all of that in the layout of future debconf sites would make
half of the site an information are linking to the other sites, which
keeps you away from having the actuals debconf content on the site.

[2] And before you say "Than we wasted others time for nothing" - well,
    they know before they start that we may not use their design/logo...

Judging from the replies on the list and IRC most seem to want to have
such a portal, and a logo "contest". How about we try that and see what
we get. To have a bit realistic view on the design I/we can define some
content that should be included (ie 3 paragraphs of text, list the other
sites to link to, together with their data (for older debconfs), give a
set of contact addresses), ... .

--
bye Joerg
<HE> liw: Ah, but now I'm old enough, so can I adopt your sex?