[Debconf-team] Re: DebConf "Legal" BoF continued - lets get it to a Delegation

On 10681 March 1977, Anthony Towns wrote:

>> as the DebConf organizers[1], responsible to organize the yearly
>> Conference.  The DPL grants the DebConf Organizers the right to use money
>> From every legal organization that works for/with Debian, such as SPI in
>> America or ffis ev in Germany, to name only two examples, without further
>> interaction of the DPL or anyone else, if that money was marked as being
>> for the Conference.
> For the Mexico conference, aiui, $29k or so was needed in advance
> of sponsorship arriving; which wasn't money marked as being for the
> conference.

Yes, and there should IMO be no default access to such money, thats why
I wrote "if that money was marked". If it would be needed again to get
money from SPI which is Debian and not DebConf marked, then the same way
as this year should be used.
The easy access should only be for money which was explicitly for DebConf.

> Personally, I've got a few concerns about how the conference is organised,
> which I'd like to list privately for your consideration:
>     1) travel sponsorship seems very obscure; I think that results in
>        a few people getting worried about it just being the organisers'
>        friends getting sponsorship, rather than it being anything
>        sensible. I was pretty surprised to find out Branden apparently
>        didn't get travel sponsorship to .mx. Having a rule that
>        sponsorship amounts get published somewhere, and all sponsored
>        people are expected to do either a proper talk, or a lightning talk
>        on what the work they've been doing might be a worthwhile idea.

Until now I only now of krooger who "complained" about travel
sponsorship. The reason to not make the actual data public was/is that
this is a bit private data. I think we can make it public for next year,
*IFF* we announce that early, so everyone knows that everyone on the
world can read it.
I dont know if Im happy with that, though. Not for hiding reasons -
everyone in -team who has access to our svn (and that are a lot of
persons) can look what happened to the money, but more for
privacy. After all it can be a nice information how much money one wants
for travel sponsorship, *may* show a bit about their personal situation.

>     3) the distance between the hacklab and the lecture rooms we've had
>        the past couple of years has been really bad to the point where it's
>        discouraged people from going to talks

Yes. Known problem, part of our Checklist for the next Location(s).

>     5) There doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback from the participants and
>        speakers to the next year's organisers; which is especially a problem
>        if the lead organisers stay the same each year.

Yes. Feedback for speakers/talks is planned within the
http://wiki.debian.org/DebConfNextSoftware site. Having something
similar for orga could be nice, but not many people seem to critize
anyways. (We have some in -discuss at the moment).

> Basically, I have a few concerns related to how debconf money is being
> handled; and at this point, I'm reluctant to delegate authority to obtain
> funds from supporting organisations like SPI. That there doesn't seem
> to be a clear idea exactly who should be delegates also bothers me a bit.

Just to make this clear - there shouldnt be money used from Debians
ressources[1], only that that DebConf itself got (ie from Andreas talking
to sponsors).

[1] With this easy regulations. Money from Debian, if needed, should go
    the normal way as it did this year.

> (I'm not sure why Marga at least wasn't on the Cc list; if someone who
> follows the debconf internals closer than I do thinks there are others
> this needs to be forwarded to, please do so)

Because I initially sent it to people who were at the BoF, to check
it. Havent made that clear (enough), my fault.

>> [3] There was the suggestion to always CC such mails to
>>     leader@debian.org, and no answer within 2 days means implicit OK. To
>>     make it legally more OK, as for example in Germany usually only the
>>     "board of directors" of a association is allowed to use the
>>     money.
> In this case, the relevant board of directors would be ffis' or SPI's, who
> would still be in the loop anyway afaics. So I don't think that is a problem.

Ok.

--
bye Joerg
I think there's a world market for about five computers.