[Debconf-team] New alioth repositories for all upcoming DebConf events, new lists, other news, blurb.

Hi

As the subject says we have new alioth repositories for the next
DebConf. This year we decided to go without versioned names, so we do
not need to restart them every year, so they are now named

debconf-data - for the general, public accessible, and
debconf-team - for the private, public not-accessible

repository. Of course most data should go (again) into -data, but
sometimes you just need -team. :)

As these are now planned to stay around forever (or until world breaks)
I introduced README.layouts in both repositorys toplevel directory,
giving a little hint where you should place your stuff. Feel free to
extend them wherever needed. Basic layout is a toplevel dcX/ for every
debconf, which contains subdirectories for every part we want to have,
like website/, mail/, etc. See the Readme for more.
I have not yet moved the website contents over to the new repository, I
plan to do that either tomorrow evening or on Tuesday evening. Until
then feel free to point out any mistakes in the proposed layout. Thanks.

While we are at it - we also have new svn commit lists now. They are now
on http://lists.debconf.org and named debconf-data-commit and
debconf-team-commit. All people that were subscribed to the debconf6
commit lists are subscribed there already, everyone else is free to
subscribe to the debconf-data commit list, the -team list needs an OK
From a listadmin (currently only me) of course. (Which is a simple check
if you are in the -team project or not :) ).

And while we were setting up the new repositories I copied a few users
over. Not everyone, as some may be local team only, or may not be
interested to have access anymore. If I missed to add you to either
debconf-data or debconf-team and you had access to the old ones: Bug me
on IRC (Nick ganneff) or sent me a little mail. Or ask stcokholm or
gunnar, as they are both admins also. :)

Other news: We got another, fast, machine for the debconf.org domain,
named quimby (see below). Currently it doesnt do much, but it will host
the DebConf wiki that some people requested, and will also get the test
instances of possible new software.

While talking about new Software - yesterday i took a look at Pentabarf
(see http://wiki.debian.org/DebConfNextSoftware) and must say - it looks
nice. Hairy setup, but that doesnt count, as users do not see that.
Will make it freely available for everyone to test in the coming week,
lets see if it survives that test.

Just for the record and those who love information and statistics, that
now makes up 5 machines in the debconf.org domain, one in England, one
in the USA, three in Germany. There is

cmburns.debconf.org
        which hosts our complete website, is our main mail exchanger, is
        the master for our userdatabase and the dns and lives in
        England. It also hosts our munin instance, so if you love
        colored graphs - look at munin.debconf.org.
        His full name is "Charles Montgomery "Monty" Burns",
        after the big controlling bad-guy in the Simpsons series.

smithers.debconf.org
        which is our mailing list slave, acts as a backup mail exchanger
        and also hosts the nagios server for our domain. His full name
        is "Waylon (J.) Smithers", as he was the second own machine we
        got, so he is the slave of cmburns. Smithers is located in
        Germany.

apu.debconf.org
        was our third host in the debconf domain, formerly called
        delenn, but renamed as it moved over. The only thing apu hosts
        is the master archive for
        http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/ so we
        are always sure to have a backup of that data. His name is a bit
        longer than usual, its "Apu Nahasapeemapetilon", the Kwik-E-Mart
        clerk. Apu is also a german machine.

wiggum.debconf.org
        was formerly called bartok.debian.org, until that host got a new
        and bigger machine. Now it is our gallery server, will be used
        for backups (it has lots of diskspace) and for whatever else we
        may imagine. The name is "Chief "Clancy" Wiggum" and the machine
        is also located in Germany.

quimby.debconf.org
        is the machine i mentioned above, so of course it is located in
        the USA. Right now it has no final usage, but a lot of
        plans. The major one is that it should get the main webserver
        for our domain, only having a "stable" site. Every development
        should be done on cmburns, until we know it wont break anything,
        then move that over to quimby. More details to that later, after
        I know how I want it to work and after I coordinated that with
        the webteam - after all they need to work with it.
        So, back to the machine I think i should mention that it already
        was the video streaming master during DebConf6, so it already
        helped us a lot. The name is "Diamond Joe Quimby", the Town
        Mayor, a good choice for a machine that should get the webmaster
        later.

Anything I missed?

Hrm, damn, this mail is much longer than i want it to be.

--
bye Joerg
Some NM: