Re: questions and results from the video irc meeting

Hi,

not cc: to the video list, as all are subscribed to here as well.

On Friday 10 June 2005 15:22, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I didn't remember whether we'll get a two or four cpu machine from intel
> (x86?) - Andreas, can you please comment on this ?! Is this the same
> machine as the one that holds the big storage capacity ? Or is this another
> machine ? Intel also lends three Toshiba Satelite notebooks with firewire
> to us. These machines will be available from july 1st til the end ?

That situation is still somewhat unclear, but has cleared a bit, see
http://layer-acht.org/fai/fai-at-debconf5 (the table at the bottom)

> According to the wiki we'll have a dedicated video room located in the
> basement of one of the dorm buildings. Is this sensible or would the smökki
> be a better place ?

still unresolved

> Where will the storage server be located ?
> Where will the gigabit switch be located ?
> Do we have a dedicated (for video, not for debconf as well) 100mbit
> connection between the CSD/auditoriums and that dorm building ?
> Do we have a dedicated (for video, not for debconf as well) 100mbit
> connection between the CSD/auditoriums and smökki ?

still unresolved

> How's the audio/mic situation in the small auditorium ?

no audio room, but mics with 6.3mm connectors...

> What kind of audio connectors are used in the main auditorium (and in the
> small, if there are any...) ?

see above

> Currently we don't have a hardware audio mixer - which would greatly help
> us with audio quality. Does anybody have one and can lend us ? Don't we
> need two, one for the big and one for the small auditorium ?

mooch will lend us his "small mixer"

> We haven't finally settled on the codecs we'll use yet. Most likely we'll
> provide theora and mpeg1 video files/streams and ogg vorbis audio
> files/streams. mpeg1 is around 200mb/hour.
>
> Also we haven't finally settled on the video tool we use, it will be either
> flumotion or ffmpeg.

still to decide

> "The big fat pipe" which will serve the videos to the outside world will be
> located on the HUTs student network. That's all we know about that
> currently :-( How will we have access to it, how is it connected to our
> network, how be able to transfer the files/streams to that machine ?
> We would like to use it to serve (big) files, stream the streams and seed
> the bittorents from it as well.

still unresolved

> For bittorents we'll also need a machine acting as a tracker for the
> torrent files - me thinks it would be best to use another machine for it,
> one that is permanently (i.e. also after debconf) under our control. What
> do you think ?

still unresolved