Re: questions and results from the video irc meeting

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 03:22:25PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to the wiki we'll have a dedicated video room located in the
> basement of one of the dorm buildings. Is this sensible or would the smökki
> be a better place ?

IN smokki we will probably have the small area (there are two separated
spaces) with the servers, if the are fits us better than having the servers in
the basement of otaniemi, where only sleeping areas are going to be set...

> Where will the storage server be located ?

My opinion: smokki

> Where will the gigabit switch be located ?

With the servers: smokki

> Do we have a dedicated (for video, not for debconf as well) 100mbit connection
> between the CSD/auditoriums and that dorm building ?
> Do we have a dedicated (for video, not for debconf as well) 100mbit connection
> between the CSD/auditoriums and smökki ?

It is a switched lan. I read some years ago that the backbone network is a 2
gigabit link, between buildings.

But this only applies to Smokki <-> Dorm.

CSD <-> ( smokki, dorm ) is another link, and cannot comment on that, but
should be broad enough.

> How's the audio/mic situation in the small auditorium ?

There is a mic plug. No idea the type.

> What kind of audio connectors are used in the main auditorium (and in the
> small, if there are any...) ?

We have to check that out.

> Currently we don't have a hardware audio mixer - which would greatly help us
> with audio quality. Does anybody have one and can lend us ? Don't we need
> two, one for the big and one for the small auditorium ?

I have a small one. I am willing to lend it. The new one i just bought, sorry,
no. I use it demi-proffesionaly, and need it.

> "The big fat pipe" which will serve the videos to the outside world will be
> located on the HUTs student network. That's all we know about that
> currently :-( How will we have access to it, how is it connected to our
> network, how be able to transfer the files/streams to that machine ?
> We would like to use it to serve (big) files, stream the streams and seed the
> bittorents from it as well.

There is nothing which will (most likelly) be serving anything to the outside
world in CSD. In the dorm and Smokki, we are trying to get through the
restrictions, since the network is firewalled and the quota for outbond
traffic is controled.

We will send more info about this.

--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.6.10|Helsinki Finland

I never drink ... wine.
		--Dracula (Dracula)