Re: food and registration: a fiasco

> 5a.) ask people to pay a share of the food (I'm willing) - but I don't think
> this will really work ("out of the box"): a.) people will also be angry and
> b.) if we do this, we shouldn't _ask_ people to pay something, rather (IMHO)
> we (would) have to decide "each person _has_ to pay $something...

While lurking on the -team list, I went on this thread.

In my opinion, if you honestly explain the situation to attendants,
you can expect something like half of us accept to pay an extra
volunteer fee for food costs.

After all, if I do not attend debconf, I will have to pay for eating
during one week, so being angry because I have to pay something would
be a bit exxagerated.

My suggestion would be dividing the extra money needed by half of the
attendants number (that is by 100 if there are 200 people attending)
and mention this as the suggested voluntary participation to food
costs (but anyone remains free of giving more if they want).

This allows people who are very short in money to still have nothing
to pay and others to happily cover this. In my opinion, this is also
how free software works : everyone participates with his/her own
possibilities.

Then record the amount given by each "voluntary sponsor" and balance
the whole thing at the end of debconf with the real extra
costs....allowing you to return back the money to people if it
happened that you collected more than needed.

(there, I would personnally say you to keep the extra money from me
and give it to SPI....:-))