Re: wiki with notification

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 13:30 +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> > Is there no general plan to move wiki.debian.net's contents to
> > wiki.debian.org?
>
> so have you checked if the markup of the two wikis is the
> same/similar? i did not yet, but it would be nice, of course.

Every wiki is similar wo another wiki, that's why they are all called
wiki :) But, no kidding, yes, they really are, I only cannot say to
exactly which extent because that would involve looking at each
formatting tag.

But my question was more targeted if the people running wiki.debian.net
and *.org were talking with each other to plan something like that, the
big issue in such a migration would be less transferring the markup but
more transferring the complete data model and the complete data from one
wiki to another.

> it would not do any harm if someone started moving all the
> debconf5 and 6 pages over. perhaps there is an automatic way to
> do so? there is a cvs interface after all.

If a complete migration is planned, it is not a good idea to migrate
partly manually and partly automatically (plus, it can be quite some
manual work to do so, why do it if it will be done automatically).
But then, if something like that is planned it's already a bad idea to
open wiki.debian.org to the public before making the automatic
migration. Because I do not know anything about if something like that
is planned or not(which, again, was what my question was about), and
maybe the reasons for such decisions, I wrote my last question, but it
seems you also don't know about that. Do you know who is running
wiki.debian.org?

Before we start migration manually, we probably should ask the people
running the wiki's if and why they plan such a migration or not.

Without knowledge about such reasons I think, apart from what I said
that I like wiki.debian.org's software more, it's not a good idea to
start having two different wiki's there, because Users will not know if
they should search stuff in one or another, it causes confusion without
a reason now visible to me.

Henning