Re: press item announcing success of DebConf 5?

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 20:43 +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> That's something I've told the debconf people after the announcement
> as well.  Since it was more than one week after the end of the conference
> I didn't feel like we should wait another week until some stuff is found,
> so actually released it with a too few information.  I hope the organisers
> for the next Debconf will collect interesting stuff *during* the conference
> that we can use later.

Since we're discussing things in retrospect, and since the other
organizers seem to be too busy to answer, I might as well comment here.
I'm expanding the topic slightly and adjusting the cc list, although I'm
answering the points raised.

The issue with the press releases has not been lack of awareness of what
should be done, or how it should be done. The people involved in the
press work for DebConf5 have all worked with the press before, and (at
least some of us) have worked as journalists for TV, radio and/or print
media. We know what an ideal communication with the press looks like,
from the "sender's" point of view, from the press' point of view, and
from the audience's point of view. The details that I think joey is
looking for *have* been collected prior to, during and after the
conference, but merely collecting them doesn't mean they end up in a
press release.

Rather, it has been a question of having to prioritize tasks and
dividing a finite amount of human resources. Speaking for myself, I was
quite surprised with the state of planning when entering the DebConf5
project as a member of the Linux-Aktivaattori board. Since
Linux-Aktivaattori had already happily accepted the task of representing
DebConf5 financially and legally, we obviously were obliged to help out
as much as we could, even though the amount of work was multiple times
what we had signed up for. A handful of people ended up working nearly
around the clock to fix things "behind the scenes": monitoring the food
consumption, carrying out tasks within the Comas system, negotiating
with the CSD people, reporting to TKY (owners of the dorm buildings),
regularly buying more supplies for various needs, finding lost luggage
and making sure it got delivered to the right place, and many other
invisible (to the guests) tasks that are unavoidable for a conference to
be successful or simply required by law or contract.

Although things can always be improved, I think we managed to do a
fairly good job, which has been reflected in the feedback so far. The
feedback we have got directly from the press has also been positive; we
know that both press releases in the form they have been published on
the DebConf5 website (http://www.debconf.org/debconf5/) have resulted in
coverage in the local media and elsewhere -- we even got translations
from people eager to help out. Two days ago we were approached by a
Finnish computer magazine that needed some details about the conference
for an article, and the second press release just happened to include
those exact details in the first paragraph, so we were able to fulfill
their needs immediately.

This shows is a different, and wider, horizon against which to measure
DebConf5. I would therefore welcome a more thorough explanation of what
could have been improved in the press releases, and how. From my
perspective, the only thing that anyone could have done to further
improve the quality of the press releases would have been to reduce the
workload of the organizers and volunteers by getting involved and doing
some work. I'm sure this holds true for the next DebConf as well.

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabian.fagerholm@linux-aktivaattori.fi>