yesterday in helsinki

this is my writeup about my visit in helsinki, focusing mostly on
debconf stuff and what pointing out some action items to work on.

There is a lot of work remaining and many small (and big things)
to be done in order to make the whole event go smoothly and to
give the participants the feeling that we were not sleeping but
that we anticipated their needs and tried to help them feel
welcome and at home.

There is enough time left to sort things out but mooch might
loose some weight in the process. (c:
* house

The house is basicly finished. It had no furniture, curtains etc
yet. (Curtains/blinds and possible mosquito nets are needed
during the summer. -> check with sports event if they will be
installed.)

The rooms are equipt with build-in wardropes and kitchens (stoves
sinks, fridges, no silverware or cooking tools). Plenty of power
outlets and one TP-network outlet are installed. Toilets and
showers are spacious. The whole building is suitable for
handicaped people. The floor is covered with robust PVC.

The basement is usable for sleeping, too. Some big rooms (bicyle
parking and others) have no power outlets and only one
lightswitch. Three rooms in the basement have poweroutlets and
could be used for hacking.

Walls within major sections of the house are made of light
construction material, easyly penetrable by wifi radio waves. (->
what are the walls of the outer appartments made of?)

A Sauna and washing facilities (washing machine, tumber, drying
room) are available in the basement of House A.

Camping (== sleeping in a tent) is allowed. Suitable locations
are in the close vincinity of the house. Campers could use
showers and restrooms in House A near the sauna.

The Radisson Hotel is 250m from the dorm. (-> ask for special
rates for DebConf attendees.)

* Hack area

The Smökki (larger wooden house with one big room and high
ceiling) is close by. Tables and chairs are freely rearangeable.
Accesspoints and poweroutlets (and TP) must be provided. (To
avoid cables on the floor they could be hung down from the
ceiling to avoid stumbling.)

Breakfast could be served in Smökki, too. But it would be nice if
Smökki could be used for hacking only (and equipment would not be
needed to be taken away).

* Auditoriums

The auditoriums are located in the main computer science
building. We will have access to the small (96 seats) and the big
300 seats) auditorium with video beamers and static microfones
(no radio-mics, apparently).

We could use printers and space there, too, but since Smökki can
be used 24/7 this would be our prefered option.

* Daytrip

The Daytrip will go to Sveaborgen (?).
Wild guess at number of participants: 140
Busses needed: 5
Guided tours: 14Euro/pers
Food from local restaurants: 15 Euro/pers
(should we budget for *everyone* to go?)

There was some talk about barbequeing somewhere. Was that near
the sauna, back at HUT? if you know, please fill this in.

* Formal Dinner

Entertainment before the dinner?
http://www.swordschool.com/en/index.html
Branden can give his DPL talk then.
-> proper mic and amplifier and soundcheck!

* Rental Agreement

Time to leave the house must be pushed backwards to at least
18:00 on the 18th.

A deadline for reimbursement of the 5000Euro security deposit
must be defined.

* House Cleaning

The house cleaning company must be contacted for information
about fees for regular cleaning duty in the house or
alternatively on usage fees of their professional cleaning
equipment.

Cleaning of the rooms should be included (once or twice during
the two weeks periode). Main rooms and hallways should be cleaned
more often.

* Press

The only way to make sure TV etc will show up is to get Linus
Torvals to show up. This would be very good to make an impact.
(-> How to get him to drop by?)

LWN has been contacted and Rebecca Sorbert might attend.
Alternatively we could provide an own writeup. Should other
magazines (Heise, Linux Magazine) be invited?

* Transport Airport - House

several options:
- volunteer drivers (with fuel and parking tickets reimbursed) ->
  30+ trips necessary on busy days (like the 9th).
- public transportation (cheap and non-trivial)
- deal with one local cab company for cheaper rates for debconf
  attendees.

Transportation back to the Airport on the 18th will require
either several busses or other major logistics. (People share
lots of cabs?) goal: everyone should leave the house untill
12:00. I guess people should be able to organize their way back
themselfs. But we should help them (by providing them as much
information as possible and enable them to make their own
arrangements.)