Re: Teckids workshop at DebConf15

Hi,

> When we arranged events for kids we tried to target as young as possible.
>
> Having cables and bread bords enables three year olds to play with
> technology. With some help they can build basic electronic circuits.

sure enough, kids aged three and above *can* play with technology. But
it is not our primary goal to have kids play with technology, but to
encourage them to use technology in a creative and responsible way,
including education about free software and the likes. It is,
psychologically, impossible and, moreover, quite ridiculous to call for
such reflective behaviour in children of such a young age.

In general, pedagogics is backing away more and more from early
intervention in child's play, as we now know that child's play needs to
be undirected and, to some extent, even mindless to warrant for healthy
development.

> It is also generally possible to use e.g. GCompris from that age.
> Possibly also other things with some guidance (super tux, tuxracer etc).

Sure. I am not so content with GCompris, for the above reasons, but
offering free games for children is a possiblity. In fact, Teckids
always has a "play station" offering access to free games to children of
all ages in addition to the workshops.

That said, if Teckids runs workshops at DebConf, such a gaming station
will be provided for; however, why anyone would need a *workshop* for
playing SuperTux is a mystery to me.

Cheers,
Nik

--
Dominik George (1. Vorstandsvorsitzender, Pädagogischer Leiter)
Teckids e.V. - Erkunden, Entdecken, Erfinden.