Re: Laptop to give away: Dell E6330

On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 09:15:09AM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> I brought my old laptop, a Dell E6330, in the hope of finding someone
> who might be able to make use of it. Preference given to someone who is
> listed somewhere on https://contributors.debian.org/ but mostly just
> interested in finding it a new home.
>
> It's an Intel i5-3320M, 16G RAM, 500G spinning rust. Works fine, but the
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> battery doesn't hold a lot of charge. I've got the docking station for
> it too.

Does it have a NMVe slot?
No human being should be subjected to an OS running (well, crawling) from
a spinner, that's for cold/linear data only.

I got a big pile of Optane 16GB disks -- two of them with me here on the
DebConf, one not in use (would need laptop screwdrivers to extract from the
Pinebook Pro but that's not a problem).  16GB is utterly inadequate for any
Windows-related use, which is why these disks were a commercial flop (and
got dumped for below $2.30 after tax), but they have great access latency
(unlike that slow flash stuff), and can fully fit a Debian install[1] with
your non-bulky data.  Bulky stuff can go on the spinner.

Thus, if that box has an m.2 slot, I'd be happy to extract that disk and
give it to you.

> No OS installed, but happily runs Bookworm.

You're not proposing spending time installing Debian while on a _DebConf_,
are you?

Meow!

[1]. At least with no Noto fonts installed. :þ
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Only flat-earthers have a problem folding a fitted sheet.