Fwd: AI BoF

IMHO we are missing one big topic in the current DebConf schedule - the explosion of large language models and other generative AI models. This is raising questions of what is or could be Debian role in these developments?

So the question from my side is - is anyone who will be there at DebConf and is feeling competent enough to chat about this topic, maybe also give a quick summary of what the landscape of this functionality and its challenges is currently, to start the discussion?

I expect that tooling for development of such AI tools is in Debian or is easy to get into Debian and that training of models is too cost-intensive for Debian to do (currently) but what about distribution of pre-trained models - what are technical and legal challenges there? What about hosting execution engines of pre-trained models - is that within Debian compute capability? What about distribution of tools with AI integration - local, Debina-hosted or externally hosted? What are technical and legal challenges there?

If we don't have a better candidate, I can volunteer to host/moderate the BoF, but we for sure need some more competent people who can actually talk there. Any ideas?
--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs

--