Re: Traveling to Prizren by car

Hi Damyan,

Answers below.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 10:18 PM Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
(I have sent a similar question on IRC, but the machine where the IRC
client was running experienced a series of power failures so I may
have missed a reply. Sorry if this comes to you twice)

I consider coming to Prizren by car, via Northern Macedonia.

The problem is, I have no idea what to expect, so I have questions :)

I know I have to buy a Liability Insurance at the border. Should
I expect to find one at the Bardovci/Elez Han border? What signs
should I look for?

There are kiosks at the border crossing selling insurance. You can't miss them. Have euros in cash available. It's a quick procedure.

Is there a suitable parking place around the venue, preferably
a guarded and/or locked one?

Yes, plenty. The venue is enclosed and guarded.

For the route from Skopje to Prizren, OSM suggests a route via Strpce
(90km distance). Would you recommend that too or should I use the
highways via Pristine (160km)?

Route via Strpce is through a national park so mountainous. If you like mountains in July, take it. The highways are modern and easier to drive if you are tired by that point.

One question that is not related to transportation, but I can't find
the answer on the web site. Is it generally OK to pay via credit/debit
card? Are cards broadly accepted or should I prepare enough cash?

Large entities like supermarkets and gas stations take cards. Small cafes and most family entities don't. ATMs are fairly available. Have enough cash ready for any emergencies (~100 EUR).

 Any other general hints?
Thanks!

Good questions. Feel free to send any others you might have. We will integrate this information into the website.

    -- dam

See you in Kosovo,
Arianit