Re: DC20: Questions regarding device inspections at the airport

Hi Ștefano,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 1:09 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Giacomo (2019.03.21_12:49:20_+0200)
> So they relay much on screening (you will see at airport: many questions,
> different steps and queues, but you still can keep liquids).
> I really doubts you will have the laptop confiscated for "no particular
> reasons". As I wrote, Israeli security is very professional (and less
> security theater), they, for sure, know that there is cloud, if one should
> "import" nasty data.

That was my experience from the visit I made to the venue, too.
Immigration was just a couple of questions, without needing to see any
documentation. Probably better than my average US Immigration experience
(and I have far too much of that).

On leaving the country (just before the gate to board the plane) I was
questioned a little more in-depth. Esp. about any previous travel to the
middle-east. Again, no searches or documentation required.

That said, I'm pretty low risk to them, as an employed middle-class
white guy.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
http://tumbleweed.org.za/

If you admit to travel to the Middle East you will be excluded from visiting again. Also if they see a stamp on your passport from a middle eastern country they will deny entry. They often ask and check for the stamps on entry too but because they can’t spend that time in each visitor it is done randomly and mostly focuses on people they believe to be Muslim or Middle Eastern and of verifies you get denied entry and set in immigration hold and put on the next commercial flight back to your country of origin.

This is precisely one of the reasons it should be a concern for Debconf being in Israel because Muslim or Middle Eastern contributors will be denied entry.