Debconf in Israel

Yesterday Nasir El-Amin wrote to this list a message.

I was not subscribed to the list and thus cannot reply directly.

The message did raise one relevant issue:

> Palestinian or Muslim Debian contributors won’t be allowed by Israel to attend Debconf.

That is certainly not the case. There may be an issue with people of certain countries (e.g. Iran, Iraq and Lebanon) or even lesser issues with people from Egypt, Jordan and Palestine/The Palestinian Authority. However as experience has shown with previous similar conferences (specifically the conferences held by Wikimedia: Wikimania in 2010, a Hackathon in 2016 and GLAM in 2018), this can mostly be avoided by working with the right people.

This is one of the issues we looked into before submitting the bid.

We're certainly looking forward for Palestinian and Muslim contributors to attend just as any others.

-- Tzafrir