Re: Re: Questions after talks at DebConf (idea)

Reply in-line :-

On 10/09/2018, Sicelo <absicsz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to add my humble point of view on this issue ...
>
> Background: first time attendee & speaker at DebConf16

I went through the same situation myself in Debconf16 .

When I had given my proposal for the talk I wasn't prepared it to be the first
talk to Debconf and that too close to lunch-time in.  My talk was
geared mostly towards
people who were just beginning to get into FOSS and would have been
more to the motivational side of things, but when faced with experienced DD's
changed the talk to something they probably hadn't known about, how India
experienced Internet and vice-versa which was a very different topic then
what I had prepared.

I did say as much in the beginning as well as there was
no point in denying the truth. This was in a hugeish auditorium as well.

I felt very much like a fraudster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
which when talking with people especially those who were new at giving talks at
Debconf also felt the same thing.

I dunno whether it would be a good idea or not but I feel it might be better
if the first few talks are given by Debconf regulars and then newbies
are given in.

I did make slides after the 'talk' but was absolutely petrified of Q&A
because -

a. I am a bit hard of hearing (90% deaf in left ear and some loss of
hearing on the right ear as well.)

b. I was afraid of the accents and fast-talk of some people while
other people whose first language was not English were easier to
understand as they took time to organize and deliver their questions
not just in Q&A but also afterwards. That made for some more rewarding
experiences for me personally.

One idea or suggestion (probably unworkable though, I dunno) might be
to have a community kitchen, woodworking, singing, drum/djembe
workshops etc. during Debconf some activity besides the wine & cheese
activity would be a good idea to get to know the community in a
non-threatening manner. I have been lucky enough to be able to attend
sessions such as the ones outlined above and fount it to be more
participative as well.

Personally it would have been nice if there was a vegetarian cooking
scene in Debconf 2016 so we could get ingredients for a recipe/s and
do the slicing and cooking therein.
I hope something like that could be done for the 2019 debconf.

I do understand the constraints of having 200+ people doing any one
activity but if small groups were there it would have more feel of a
community as well.

<snipped>

--
          Regards,