Re: Re: Questions after talks at DebConf (idea)

I would like to add my humble point of view on this issue ...

Background: first time attendee & speaker at DebConf16

I agree with everyone that speaking, and later on, questioning, can
drain a first time conference speaker. Worse still when English is a
language one does not use daily. Then of course, a first time speaker
will most likely not have much technical know-how of the subject, and it
is to be expected that there will be some in the audience far more
knowledgeable on the matter than he/she is.

However, this in no way makes a new speaker intimidated. DebConf has a
code of conduct, and the little I have seen (one DebConf attended, and a
number of them watched), there is almost zero hostility from the
audience.

Norbert Preining wrote ...
> Critical and tough questions are the best one can get, because the
> challenge what you have done and might open new avenues. Personal
> experience it is.

Christop Biedl wrote ..
> No doubt this is an issue. BUT: There are other, better ways to deal
> with it than avoidance: By learning how to handle the situation. Being
> able to preset your ideas, not necessarily in such a formal event as a
> DebConf, is a key competence - we'll I'd say in your entire life.
> may trust you will not experience anything bad. Enough people in the
> audience have experience with presenting, they will at least be polite
> enough to show respect you gave a presentation at all.

It cannot be said any better than Norbert Preining and Christoph Biedl
have already said.

I personally found the whole experience to be a lot of fun. When I watch
my talk at DebConf16, I always feel that I wasted everyone's time and
mine, because the delivery was really bad (I was struggling to find
words to express myself), and the content was definitely underwhelming.
However, the Q&A was the best part of my talk, and gave me a very
personal 'feel' of the Debian community. In the end, I learned a lot
from it.

Adding the option to have no public Q&A for first-time speakers is
probably going to be helpful. At the same time, perhaps along with such
option, there could be a note that briefly explains the possible
benefits of allowing Q&A and that offers mentorship from a more
experienced speaker. It would have to be worded in such a way that
someone who really prefers no Q&A is not left feeling guilty.

Just my two cents
Sicelo