Re: Questions after talks at DebConf (idea)

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 04:51:33PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Sure, but that does not *have* to be done during the session, with
> the whole audience listening to the discussion, which I guess is the
> precise stressing point.

http://ericholscher.com/blog/2016/nov/12/questions-at-conferences/ has
more good suggestions:

--quote begin--
Speaker goes to the front of stage for questions

At my own conferences, Write the Docs, we have established the norm of not
having full audience questions. After each talk we ask the speaker to come
to the front of the stage, and then have a conversation with members of the
audience with questions.

This achieves a couple beneficial results:

    People are empowered to ask questions that are more specific to their
    	situation, instead of trying to general them for a larger audience
    The question asker isn’t given a “stage” to promote their own projects
    	or ideas
    The speaker isn’t worried about being “called out” in front of the full
    	room
    Everyone else in the audience is free to do whatever they want

[...]
Questions are your responsibility

As the organizer of an event, the way that you structure the event has a
direct impact on people’s experience. Opening the room to questions and not
doing any moderation is abdicating your responsibility as an organizer.
--quote end--

So yes, good room moderation is pretty important, and giving speakers
the explicit note that they dont have to accept questions seems nice
indeed.

--
cheers,
	Holger