Re: Visa procedures

On 26/06/18 15:18, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> On 26/06/2018 15:13, Kristi Progri wrote:
>> "Furthermore, foreign nationals who have been invited to attend
>> international conferences, sporting events, trade fairs or other
>> activities in Taiwan—organized, co-organized, or sponsored by central
>> government agencies—are also eligible for an eVisa. Such foreign
>> nationals must obtain an Ecode from the host organization in Taiwan
>> (n.b., not the Bureau of Consular Affairs) prior to submitting an online
>> application for an eVisa."
>
> It doesn't seem like the eVisa is a hard requirement, it just seems like
> something that may add a little more convenience if available.

In another thread[1] it was suggested that the eCode / eVisa is not
certain.  Is there any more clarity on that so far?

>> Also, together with the online application they require beforehand these
>> documents:
>>
>> *In order to issue a visa we need:
>>
>> original passport valid at least 6 months
>> _airline ticket _
>> application form filled on line and stamped
>>
>> one photo (passport size)
>>
>> copy of the payment
>>
>> So, I am afraid that we might need in advance the flight tickets.
>
> My local embassy was very friendly, have you tried phoning yours? For
> some visa applications I've done in the past, the embassy was fine with
> just a printout of planned flights. Your local embassy might be too, I'd
> urge you to get in touch with them ASAP.

Which country do you live in and which nationality are you?  The policy
may not be universal.

Taiwan doesn't have embassies in a lot of the countries/cities where a
lot of the GSoC students and diversity bursary recipients are located.

Kristi, does the web site recommend which embassy you should contact in
a neighbouring country?

Can you call them to confirm if the ticket is a hard requirement?

Can anybody from the visa team clarify this ticket requirement with the
immigration authorities handling the eCode and give a definite answer?

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://lists.debian.org/debconf-discuss/2018/06/msg00032.html