Re: Tourism in Taiwan

Yes, east-coast is the most beautiful place on the island.

You could visit the taroko national park:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUqYreF1ucA

And you could and should attend the course at the hunter school for survive skills in wild:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBpvbDw1gQQ

And there are a lot of nature hot springs in the wild around the island:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptaQ6UBd2U

And you may want to hiking on the trails with the survive skills you learnt from the hunter school:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dEkW2qvOI&list=PLFHiboGdZSVmpSusr8ZnH7-PE3oF3S1UP

And you may dive in the Lanyu Island (Orchid Island) where has 30-50m visibility under water:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in031Nj29lg

And there are festivals of Pangach tribals during that time. They are dancing like a Debian swirl:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYIJcTHZ-k

And we could meet and drink together with the author of the song of Seediq Bale:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvgRrOUeSCk

Best regards,
-Andrew

On 06/17/2018 05:39 AM, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My plane lands in Taiwan on July 8th and I'm planning to go around and
> enjoy Taiwan as much as possible before DebCamp starts.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations of things I should do? I speak a
> good enough mandarin to get around fine by myself and I can read and
> write simplified characters as well as a seven-years-old child would.
>
> I'm not big on very touristy places or large cities and I vaguely plan
> to get off the coast as fast as possible and go hiking in the mountains.
> If possible I'd like not to die in a mudslide too :o
>
> I also enjoy good tea.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi there!

You shall not miss one of the great evening food market in Taipei, it's
famous all around the world. There, you just select food (often, live
sea food in aquariums), and ask for it to be cooked by the minute.

I have never been there, but the east of Taiwan is said to be the
prettiest part of the island. If I had the available time (which I
probably wont have this year...) I personally would like to go in
Hualian (where Andrew Lee lives) and do hiking in the mountains around.

I hope this helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)