Re: [Debconf-discuss] RVC to CdM by bike?

W. Martin Borgert dijo [Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:44:59AM +0200]:
> Hi,
>
> anyone else living in RVC and likes to go every morning to CdM
> by bike (and back at night)? It is cheaper, more convenient, and
> probably more fun than public transport. Riding together is even
> nicer.

Here is a route I would probably take if I were doing that ride so I could stay on the cyclable route. (I'm local, so I won't be staying at RVC :) ) (It's the first time I've used umap, so I hope this works)

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/untitled-map_161055#13/45.5262/-73.5639

That's roughly 1.2 km longer than taking Sherbrooke Street, and an awful lot safer.  Traffic on Sherbrooke is very agressive, though during the construction vacation period (last week July and first week August) there is much less traffic than usual.

An alternate route, that isn't all bike path, but is mostly free of cars is

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/untitled-map_161057#14/45.5216/-73.5564

According to map.meurisse.org those two routes are about the same distance: 6.6 km.

It's been about 20 years since I've biked the routes closer to the St Lawrence River, so I'm a little shaky on the exact route, but here is another option that is roughly 7.6 km long, parts of which take you close to the water:

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/untitled-map_161058#13/45.5310/-73.5893

I hope this might give you some ideas on how to make the ride.  Bike routes are constantly evolving in this city, so if something on the ground doesn't match what I've suggested here, use your good sense to try and find the way.  Most if not all of the third route should also be on bike ways.

Cheers,

znoteer