Re: [Debconf-discuss] tax-free purchases in Canada / DebConf?

On 29/07/17 19:11, Taowa wrote:
> Hello,
> Unfortunately, I believe that we don't match the criteria.
> I doubt that we fit the definitions of "eligible tour package" and
> "foreign convention".
> An "eligible tour package" requires:
>

>     a package must be a tour package, must be sold for an all-inclusive
>     price, and must include the following elements:
>
>     -   short-term and/or camping accommodation in Canada; and
>     -   at least one service.
>

> This might apply to attendees that are paying for food and accomm
> through DebConf directly, if it weren't for the note stating
>

>     Packages that include a convention facility or related convention
>     supplies are not tour packages.
>

> A "foreign convention" requires:
>

>     [...] the sponsor of the convention is an organization whose head
>     office is situated outside Canada or, if the organization has no
>     head office, the member or majority of members having management and
>     control of the organization is non-resident
>

> A Quebec non-profit named Conférence DebConf17 Montréal is the sponsor
> of DebConf17, with a "head office" in Montreal.

On the page with more details about conventions[2], it allows the rebate
for "a non-resident exhibitor  of a foreign or domestic convention"

So the "foreign convention" description doesn't prevent exhibitors from
claiming the rebate.  That restriction only applies to a sponsor or
organizer.

For people who may only be eligible for a small rebate, maybe they would
want to simply donate all their rebates back to a non-profit trust
organization if there is somebody who can do the paperwork?

Regards,

Daniel

2.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/gst-hst-rebates/gst-hst-rebate-sponsors-foreign-conventions-organizers-foreign-conventions-non-resident-exhibitors.html