Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf17: Last call for keys for keysigning in Montreal, Canada

On 21/07/17 01:07, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> DebConf17: Last call for keys for keysigning in Montreal, Canada
>
> If you don't have an ed25519 key and would like to create your own
> ECC key (not the ones recommended by NIST, which may have NSA
> backdoors [2]), please read the information by NIIBE Yutaka at [3].

Hi Anibal!

It seems to me that I should have sent this into the proper Debian list
and not debconf-discuss@, but since you kindly mentioned the subject, I
fired it up in here! 8)

Is any ECC crypto set allowed by FTP-Master/Debian Keyring Manaintainers
by these days? I understand it has not been accepted as part of the
gnupg/opengpg standards.

A quick dive into the Debian Keyring seems not one key has been
uploaded/got accepted one yet:

dererk <at> erebus[~]$  gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring
/usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg --list-sigs | grep ^pub | awk
'{print $2}' | sort | uniq -c
      1 dsa3072
      1 rsa10240
     29 rsa2048
      4 rsa3072
      1 rsa3744
      1 rsa3936
    808 rsa4096
      1 rsa5120
      6 rsa8192

I still use my 4Krsa key for lots of stuff, and even though I'm not
dpk^W a person that truly understands the underlining math that supports
it, I just particularly find ECC to be extremely practical when dealing
with smaller cryptographic challenges/computing power required, and also
smaller public keys and still get served beef :D

Thanks for always push this stuff year after year!

Cheers,

Dererk
--
She liked him; he was a man of many qualities, even if most of them were
bad.