Re: [Debconf-discuss] Speeding up the installer (Was: installation report on installation failure and having net install for minimal installations .)

in-line :-

On 24/04/2017, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> [shirish शिरीष]
>> 3. Net install for minimal installations - Doing full installations is
>> very time-consuming. Here the usb disks as well as ATA/IDE are both
>> bottlenecks and a desktop install takes at least 30-45 minutes.
>
> One way to try to speed up the installation a bit is to install the
> eatmydata-udeb package when using d-i.  I believe booting the installer
> with this kernel argument should do the trick:
>
>   preseed/early_command="anna-install eatmydata-udeb"
>
> How much time you save will depend on how many packages you want to
> install.
>
> --
> Happy hacking
> Petter Reinholdtsen

Dear Petter,

Interesting. While I see that it both has an upside as well as
downside, has anybody tried any non-scientific runs to see how much
difference does it make in an actual install using that option ?

Another query, is the eatmydata-udeb available in net install image ?
I do see that eatmydata and libeatmydata are both optional utilities.
I do see however that both the binary package as well as the library
are pretty small (less than 100 kb together)  and doesn't have any
dependencies apart from depending on each other as well as libc6 all
of which should be possible to have in net-install image.

On the same/similar topic though, there is a bit of news or
link/clarification that is missing though . For instance in the net
install page it says -

https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

What types of network connections are supported during installation?
The network install assumes that you have a connection to the
Internet. Various different ways are supported for this, like analogue
PPP dial-up, Ethernet, WLAN (with some restrictions)

But it doesn't clear what restrictions are there on WLAN and if they
could be resolved in due course (i.e. during the minimal installation
or later).

Looking forward to know.
--
          Regards,