Re: [Debconf-discuss] Help with scheduling train for DebConf 15

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:56:44PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2015, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > > Beyond that, I am not sure if I'm elligible for the savings fare or the
> > > standard fare.
>
> savings fares are not always available and change over time.

The standard fare from the train station at the airport for the long
distance high speed trains (ICE)

Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf
Heidelberg Hbf

is 25EUR, a savings fare would be 19EUR.

There is another train station for slower, regional trains, at the airport:
Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf
which is 21EUR standard vs 19EUR savings fare.

As mentioned before, the savings fare is tied to one connection. I don't
think its worth the risk for saving 6 (or 2) EUR. You can by the standard
fare tickets at a vending machine, or at a Bahn office (for an additional
service fee, I think).

These savings fares are available for everybody, as long as tickets last, so
you need to buy them well in advance usually.

You could buy a Bahncard25 (to save 25%), but that costs another 25EUR (for
three months, but don't forget to cancel the contract). Unless you get a
Bahncard for free (if you buy a glass of a famous chocolate spread you can
get a voucher for a test BC25 which is valid for one month), a Bahncard is
not worth it for just two trips. If you have a BC25 you will always get a
discount of 25%. But unless we all start eating lots of chocolate spread and
hand out these vouchers at the airport, I think the Bahncard is out for the
typical visitor.

An airport shuttle maybe another option, but I can't find this page in
english:

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/de/Lufthansa-Airport-Shuttle-Heidelberg

Not sure if this is the same, the prices look similar (25EUR, 46EUR return
plus discount if you book early).
http://www.transcontinental-group.com/en/frankfurt-airport-shuttles

Christian