[Debconf-discuss] Video subtitling

Hello,

Thanks to the amazing work of the Video team and volunteers, we have
lots of videos, yay!

I'd then like to emphasize about helping with subtitling videos of our
talks:

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/Subtitles

There are a lot of good reasons for subtitling:

- without it deaf people can only benefit from the slides, not from your
  actual talk.

- some people on the net may not want to spend the time to listen to the
  whole video, but would gladly read the whole text.

- crawlers catch its words, which brings a lot of keywords to the
  corresponding video.

However, subtitling is a very long process, particularly when one isn't
used to the speaker accent, and doesn't know the subject particularly
well.

That's why I'd advise speakers to work on writing the raw transcript
of their own talk, i.e. just the raw text. This is really easy for the
person who spoke, since the two problems above go away, and one can
hope (s)he knows quite well what (s)he wanted to say :) About anybody
else can then easily work on the subtitling itself (splitting the raw
transcript in pieces and syncing on the video), which will be made a lot
less work.

It usually takes me something like a bit less than an hour per 10
minutes of talk to write the raw transcript.

Samuel