Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 02:43:51PM -0400, micah anderson wrote:
> Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> writes:

> > And taking the risk to be called an ochlocrat once again, I would also
> > argue against accomodating vegans if the proposed solution would be that
> > everyone has to eat vegan food all the time.

> If you had a checkbox that said "I need to eat meat at every meal" and a
> special meal was taken care of for you, would you be ok with that?

As an attendee, I would check the box, while rolling my eyes.

As an *organizer*, I think such a box would be pointless and
counterproductive, because first, it doesn't map to anyone's stated true
preferences (most people are omnivores; I have never heard anyone complain
that there was insufficient meat available at conferences), and second, the
actual preferences that this is a substitute for - an omnivorous diet - are
the common case.  So making people tick a box to say they don't want to be
vegan for the week is exactly analogous to making people tick a box to say
they don't mind being filmed during the conference.

And people in this thread should be ashamed of themselves for politicizing
the logistical challenges of the conference organizers.