Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

Clint Adams <clint@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 01:23:29PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> I might be wrong on this, but I expect those that don't mind to be
>> filmed to vastly outnumber those that oppose to it. So to me it seems
>> enough to make it clear that talk rooms are filmed and to have a space
>> for those that don't want to be filmed but still want to attend the
>> talk.
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 12:52:18PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> The registration data supports this conclusion.  Only a handful of people
>> checked the box to say they didn't want their picture taken without
>> permission.  The rest either don't have a problem with it, or it wasn't
>> important enough to them to find this information on the registration form
>> (arguably, the same thing).
>
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:54:23AM +0300, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>> I do not see it being a fair trade to deprive hundreds of people that
>> are watching these videos, of the visual cues, for the privacy benefit
>> or minimal seating arrangement comfort of the 5 or 6 people that do
>> not want to be filmed.
>
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 09:33:00PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>> I strongly agree with Aigars here. We are setting up a maze of hoops
>> to jump through for a very small gain. I think (and not that I want to
>> enter a slippery slope, but it does not seem so far from several
>> arguments I've seen) that pushing this might end up leading to
>> disappearing all of the videoteam at some point.
>
> I am somewhat puzzled by why the ochlocrats aren't arguing
> that we shouldn't accommodate vegans either, since it's extra
> effort for only a handful of people.

I am somewhat puzzled and disappionted to be called an ochlocrat while
trying to find a solution for the problem that does not mean not having
the talk video anymore and baning photographs from most places.

And taking the risk to be called an ochlocrat once again, I would also
argue against accomodating vegans if the proposed solution would be that
everyone has to eat vegan food all the time. The current solution for
accomodating vegans that we offer vegan meals in addition to other meals
is extra effort but IMO well worth it. To me this seems quite similar to
various solution to accomodate those not wanting to be photographed
proposed in this thread.

Gaudenz

P.S.: It might be that I have a wrong understaning what ochlocrat means.
My understanding is based on reading the first part of:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochlocracy