Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Sat, 2014-09-13 at 22:34 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> If the main difficulty with a proper opt-in system is that we don't
> want to throw photo refuseniks into a ghetto (or stop them asking
> questions), we could just stop videoing the questions at all.

I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater, here.
There's certainly something to be said for videotaping the Q&A if there
is value in videotaping them at all, which I don't think anyone
disputes.  The Q&A comes up, frequently, because of things that the talk
needed to expound on; eliminating it would leave people watching the
recordings or livestreams missing potentially vital pieces of
information.

Speaking for myself, I think a compromise could be to videotape the
speaker only, but record audio from the microphones that people use for
asking questions, and having people announce themselves - if they are
comfortable - before asking their questions.

For the few occasions where video of the crowds can be helpful, say, for
marketing, or for other purposes, it could be announced and held even
right before the panel itself.

--
Harlan Lieberman-Berg
~hlieberman