Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] First videos are now online

Hi Alberto,

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 07:45:51PM +0200, alberto fuentes wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > One of the things I wanted to address post-DebConf14 is to make sure the
> > event pages in summit.debconf.org include direct links to the video
> > recordings.  Can you tell me if there's a reliable naming scheme for these
> > files?  E.g., it appears spaces are replaced by underscores, and several
> > punctuation characters are removed.  Is the filename schema available in
> > code form?

> Please, consider linking the videos via the links to amara.org
> provided in the subs wiki [0]
> Notice that amara does not host the files, only the subtitles... but
> adds both a player that is able to show the subtitles and a some
> interface to edit such subtitles

> I know is ugly to link to some external website... frankly, I dont
> know how else to do it. Amara is free software but is not packaged
> into debian. Ill try to get some instance up for the next year... but
> I havent looked into it yet.

> For now, this will have to do.

I'm not willing to link to a non-Debian resource for the videos.  In the
past, I know we've hosted the subtitles next to the videos on
meetings-archive (e.g.,
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2013/debconf13/subtitles/).
Surely we should do this again?

There's probably some work to be done to support better integration and
discoverability of the subtitles.  I'm not sure if in-browser integration is
what we're looking for... I'm also not sure what the state of the art is for
downloading subtitles together with video files, since I tend not to be a
heavy user of them.  If linking to a landing page that wraps the .webm+.srt
is the best available option, then I'm ok with that, but:

 - it needs to be on a Debian host
 - the page needs to include links to the raw files on meetings-archive
 - the URLs need to be *deterministic* without the use of external code
   (i.e., the current amara.org URLs include some kind of hash - hash of
   what and using what algorithm, I have no idea, but I'm not going to have
   summit trying to link to them).

BTW, this seems to be the first mention of amara on this list.  Maybe you
want to post a more targeted announcement?  I see that you are part of the
"DebConf Subtitle Team" (https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debconfsubs/) so
presume this is the legit, agreed-upon workflow and should get more
attention.

> The subtitles will be available outside amara.org once they are
> finished. But they are not... and will not be unless they are promoted
> and exposed to the people interested in watching those videos in the
> first place

I like the crowdsourcing aspect, but would still need the above addressed
before we could direct viewers through those pages.

Thanks,