Re: [Debconf-discuss] Code of Conduct violations handling process

On 9/4/14, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> writes:
>
>> More facts trickle out. Thank you for stepping up to the plate.
>
>> Any chance someone could crush an egg shell already and just post a link
>> to the brouhaha? Or summarise the events?
>
>> Are we that timid, that dominated by the almighty COC, that facts are no
>> longer politically correct?
>
>> I happen to think facts are a useful foundation to a conversation.
>
> I don't think the conversation about the specific event that happened is a
> useful conversation to have here, and I think it has a very high chance of
> creating huge amounts of heat and smoke to no constructive effect.  I
> realize that the curiousity of bystanders has been piqued (and it would
> have been nice if we'd been able to have a conversation without doing
> that, although that's a lot to ask), but honestly I think it would be more
> rubbernecking than any foundation for constructive debate.

May be true, but intentional avoidance -causes- interest.

A simple statement such as "An event occurred where some words
were spoken and exception was taken, and incorrectly escalated to
the DPL" would surely be adequate to downplay the event, head off
rubbernecking, and provide a minimal non-fact for context of the
conversation?

(The suggested quote is based only on what has arisen in this
thread, I cannot be bothered to go digging for such tripe myself.)