Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:44:31AM +0200, Lunar wrote:
> Gaudenz Steinlin:
> > And taking the risk to be called an ochlocrat once again, I would also
> > argue against accomodating vegans if the proposed solution would be that
> > everyone has to eat vegan food all the time.

> Why?

Because with my food allergies, vegan cuisine (unless I prepare it myself)
is almost consistently impossible for me to safely eat.  (Onions, mushrooms
and garbanzo beans, plus probably more beans that haven't yet been
identified.)

> Almost all DebConf attendees could eat vegan food for the length of the
> conference.

Almost all. Not all.

> Would you suffer from not eating animal products for a
> single week?

Yes.

> What about the animals being enslaved, tortured and killed
> for your pleasure?

There are ways to obtain animal products without torturing them. As for
"enslaving", we probably have a much different definition of "enslavement",
and as for "killing them for my pleasure", we very likely have a very
different definition of this, too.

> (Sorry about sending this, but I am pretty sick of people thinking being
> vegan is just about stricking some fancy.)

What I find offensive here is that I do not for a moment find any indication
that you're sorry you sent this, and you seem to have no regard for people
who are sick of people thinking that others who consume animal products have
some form of evil latent sociopathic tendencies where they enjoy and revel
in slaughter.

People have different food needs/accommodations, and for many different
kinds of reasons: allergies and intolerances, diet, ethical reasons,
religious reasons, economical reasons, etc.

This debate isn't about food offerings (please see subject line for
clarification), which DebConf *DOES* strive to provide (sanely) (and quite
frankly, I think we do a bang up job with it, too), this debate is about
privacy and video/photography convenience.  If you have something ueseful
for this, please, by all means participate.  If you don't, and you simply
want to bikeshed and provoke fights about dietary choices or needs, please
start a new thread.

Thank you for being productive,
Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net | harmoney@debian.org

At times, you may end up far away from home;
you may not be sure of where you belong anymore.
But home is always there...  because home is not a place.
It's wherever your passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski