Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 09:33:00PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> I strongly agree with Aigars here. We are setting up a maze of hoops
> to jump through for a very small gain. I think (and not that I want to
> enter a slippery slope, but it does not seem so far from several
> arguments I've seen) that pushing this might end up leading to
> disappearing all of the videoteam at some point.

I am somewhat puzzled by why the ochlocrats aren't arguing
that we shouldn't accommodate vegans either, since it's extra
effort for only a handful of people.

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 05:38:43PM -0400, Harlan Lieberman-Berg wrote:
> Speaking for myself, I think a compromise could be to videotape the
> speaker only, but record audio from the microphones that people use for
> asking questions, and having people announce themselves - if they are
> comfortable - before asking their questions.

Seems like something people could live with.

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 02:51:43PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I'm not sure how much this is a generational thing.  I don't have a
> Facebook profile either, and didn't grow up with digital cameras, and
> maybe I have a different relationship with photos than people who are
> twenty years younger than I am.

I know younger people who understand privacy concerns as well.
My impression is that they tend toward a combintion of
misinformation and avoidance rather than straight avoidance.
Disguising yourself from facial recognition algorithms, however,
is probably difficult to pull off at DebConf without some unfortunate
tradeoffs.