Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> some replies in one mail...
>
> On Sonntag, 14. September 2014, Paul Wise wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> > I've actually often wondered why DebConf doesn't do what was routine at
>> > Usenix, LISA, etc., which was to have a mike for questions and a camera
>> > dedicated to that and have people queue to ask questions.  Although I
>> > suspect it's just lack of space, given that a lot of the rooms we tend to
>> > use are rather small and that requires a real aisle.
>> >
>> > We did that for the Linus Q&A, and I thought that worked much better.
>> > And then people who don't want to be filmed will have a clearer idea of
>> > what part of the audience will be filmed and can avoid sitting close to
>> > the mike, and we could potentially formalize that.
>>
>> This appears to be the most sensible suggestion in the discussion re
>> talks, lets implement that please.
>
> I agree, a pre-set microphone stand like there was at the Linus Q+A in
> Portland is the best setup for audience questions for a talk. So, whenever
> possible we should set it up.
>
> Sadly it doesnt work that well for workshops and lively discussions.

Would it be feasible for the video team (and still photographer if any)
to wait a moment to see if the person asking the question stands up, and
have that be a sign of desire to be on video?

I am very sympathetic to the the idea that video of the questioner is
important to help some who are watching understand the question. But I
don't see a way to maximize that while also respecting the person asking
the question, and without discouraging comments/questions to begin with.
It seems like the thing to do is to encourage people to stand up and be
willing to appear on video for that reason, but still leave it up to
them.

I find it pretty uncomfortable that it sounds like if someone had said
"I'd like to ask a question right now but I'd prefer not to be on video"
his/her request may have been refused?

I understand that crowd panning shots may be good promotional material
for the conference, and that's important. But those are inevitably just
samples; doesn't seem like they are needed for every session. Could they
be limited to a few designated sessions and room sections?

Just throwing out ideas, this was only my second DebConf so I know
others know much better from experience what works best.

-john