Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

Hi,

some replies in one mail...

On Sonntag, 14. September 2014, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I've actually often wondered why DebConf doesn't do what was routine at
> > Usenix, LISA, etc., which was to have a mike for questions and a camera
> > dedicated to that and have people queue to ask questions.  Although I
> > suspect it's just lack of space, given that a lot of the rooms we tend to
> > use are rather small and that requires a real aisle.
> >
> > We did that for the Linus Q&A, and I thought that worked much better.
> > And then people who don't want to be filmed will have a clearer idea of
> > what part of the audience will be filmed and can avoid sitting close to
> > the mike, and we could potentially formalize that.
>
> This appears to be the most sensible suggestion in the discussion re
> talks, lets implement that please.

I agree, a pre-set microphone stand like there was at the Linus Q+A in
Portland is the best setup for audience questions for a talk. So, whenever
possible we should set it up.

Sadly it doesnt work that well for workshops and lively discussions.

On Freitag, 12. September 2014, John Sullivan wrote:
> It's hard to get up the confidence to ask a question in front of a
> crowd, especially a very smart crowd. Being on video raises that bar
> even further. I think videoing audience speakers is detrimental to the
> quality of the live event, and doesn't raise the quality of the video
> enough to justify that.

I fully agree. We should strive to get everyone included, also those who for
whatever reason dont wanna be videoed, but want to contribute their voice on
audio.

I also had the impression there was less relaying of questions from irc this
year, no idea if thats true and if so, why.

On Samstag, 13. September 2014, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> [...] Not taping the video of the person asking the question
> makes the people watching livestream or the recordings miss ... half
> of the picture? (pun was not intended, originally)
>
> I do not see it being a fair trade to deprive hundreds of people that
> are watching these videos, of the visual cues, for the privacy benefit
> or minimal seating arrangement comfort of the 5 or 6 people that do
> not want to be filmed.

If you were to record, broadcast and archive (forever, on the net) a video of
a person who doesn't want that, you would be depriving that individual some
serious human rights. Which you cannot justify like you just did. So better
not do that.

And I pretty much would like to give some shy weirdos and other great but
maybe shy or concerned or harrassed or whatever persons the opportunity to
speak at an event, which is videod.

I totally agree that many DebConf videos are nice(r), because many of the
audience who speak are recognizable, but we should also provide space for
people who prefer to stay outside the spotlight.

cheers,
	Holger