Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

It is common practice that the presenter should repeat any question before answering it. As long as this speaking protocol is followed, I don't see any understanding issues arrising from only recording the presenter.

On Sep 13, 2014 5:54 PM, "Aigars Mahinovs" <aigarius@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12 September 2014 18:52, John Sullivan <johns@debian.org> wrote:
> Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> writes:
>
>> But I agree that this view might be skewed be that fact that I
>> personally think that the talks video are very valueable and don't mind
>> being filmed during the talks.
>
> I find audio and video of the primary speaker and the slides very
> valuable. I'm a little lost as to why people want video of the crowd or
> those asking questions. Why isn't audio sufficient for that?

It has been mentioned before and I somewhat agree - for a non-native
English speaker it is often easier to understand people if you see
them speak as that give some more visual cues on what they are saying.
This becomes even more important when the tone of the question might
be important. In addition, the peronality of the people asking the
question (in case of known people) is also important for a fuller
understanding. Not taping the video of the person asking the question
makes the people watching livestream or the recordings miss ... half
of the picture? (pun was not intended, originally)

I do not see it being a fair trade to deprive hundreds of people that
are watching these videos, of the visual cues, for the privacy benefit
or minimal seating arrangement comfort of the 5 or 6 people that do
not want to be filmed.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org