Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf conference policy on profanity

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Margarita Manterola <marga@debian.org> wrote:
> Proposal:
> ================
>  Any public presentation which is part of any event, including but not limited to keynotes, presentations, lightning talks, addresses, mailing list posts and forums, is subject to this code of conduct and thus may not contain:
>
>     Sexual or violent imagery;
> +    Insults or ad-hominem attacks;
>
> + We also ask you to avoid language which is not appropriate for an all-ages audience as much as possible.
>
> + If the content of the presentation requires including language that could be considered offensive, this should be pointed out in advance, at the beginning of the talk and in the schedule.
>
> If presenters are unsure whether their material is suitable, they are encouraged to show it to the DebConf Talks Team before their session.
> ================

Fully agreed.

It's very useful to have something to point to when people overdo
$something and then claim it's fully OK to do so so I wouldn't want
the reference to swearwords removed entirely.

Yet it's important to not just enforce rules mindlessly, overly
aggressively, or, worst of all, abuse them as a weapon.

The above strikes the balance between those two goals.

As an aside, I feel it's important to point out that the above does
not include interactions in hallways, etc. Dictating what words
consenting adults use in communication with each other (while staying
within legal limits, etc) would not be overly inclusive.

Richard