Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf conference policy on profanity

Margarita Manterola dijo [Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 10:13:07PM +0000]:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Russ for raising this issue, I think it's worthy of discussion.
>
> My feeling is that completely forbidding profanity (or whatever the
> right word for it is, profanity also seems wrong) doesn't benefit
> DebConf.
> (...)
> Original:
> ================
>  Any public presentation which is part of any event, including but not limited to keynotes, presentations, lightning talks, addresses, mailing list posts and forums, is subject to this code of conduct and thus may not contain:
>
>     Sexual or violent imagery;
> -    Adult or expletive language;
> -    Language which is not appropriate for an all-ages audience.
>
> If presenters are unsure whether their material is suitable, they are encouraged to show it to the DebConf Talks Team before their session.
> ================
>
> Proposal:
>  Any public presentation which is part of any event, including but not limited to keynotes, presentations, lightning talks, addresses, mailing list posts and forums, is subject to this code of conduct and thus may not contain:
>
>     Sexual or violent imagery;
> +    Insults or ad-hominem attacks;
>
> + We also ask you to avoid language which is not appropriate for an all-ages audience as much as possible.
>
> + If the content of the presentation requires including language that could be considered offensive, this should be pointed out in advance, at the beginning of the talk and in the schedule.

Beautiful. Strongly seconded. And, yes, common sense from the
attendees (presenters included) is expected. If the ocassional "bad
word" or two appear, no fuss should be made about it. They should be
part of natural use.