Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf conference policy on profanity

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 09:16:15PM +0200, alberto fuentes wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> wrote:
> >
> > +1.
> >
> > I'd like to add that restraining oneself from using profanity (either
> > as a speaker or as an audience member) in a public venue is common
> > courtesy. Similarly as we choose our words when speaking to strangers.
> > I might be tempted to use profanity with friends or coworkers, but I'd
> > be much more careful with people I don't know or have never met.
>
> Theres a bullet point in the mailing list CoC that says:
> 'Use common sense all the time.'
>
> Maybe the profanity thingy can be just removed completely?

Spelling out common sense helps make sure that it's actually common; in
the context of a code of conduct, a catch-all for unexpected poor
behavior seems useful (in case anyone tries to play rules lawyer with
it), but spelling out frequent issues specifically seems preferable to
assuming a common understanding of "common sense", especially in cases
where different people's common sense seems particularly likely to
disagree.

- Josh Triplett