Re: [Debconf-discuss] Summit discussion on Thursday, 11:00am (18:00 UTC)

Hi Cate,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:08:21AM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> On 27.08.2014 00:26, martin f krafft wrote:
> > as you may know, DC14 uses a new conference management system
> > ("summit") and we are rather happy with it. But there are obviously
> > aspects that need improvement.

> > We will meet on Thursday at 11 in room 338 to discuss the future of
> > Summit and DebConf.

> I've few comments.

> We have some problem on sso, people some are registering with both
> debian and alioth, which cause some confusion.
> Could we link debian and alioth accounts?
> Should we improve the login page?

I had a hallway discussion with Enrico Zini about this here; he's interested
in streamlining the SSO handling to address exactly this, normalizing so
that Debian developers would always log in via Debian SSO and alioth would
be used only for non-DDs.

Implementing this thing we all agree on is left as an exercise for the
relevant system maintainers.

> Maybe we should start again summit from upstream (and with some
> discussion with upstream), so to make think more generalized (for all
> debconf) and cleaner schema.

I disagree.  I think we should instead leverage django's top-notch schema
migration support, to continue forward from our currently working deployment
while normalizing for multiple DebConfs, and working with upstream to merge
our schema extensions.  This lets us carry forward our data intact in a
retrievable fashion.

> [ - On deployment a reference from attendee_id to user_id was lost

I'm not sure what you mean here.

>   - bursaries info are in different table need_food are never in the
> same table as need_accommodation

Yes; they're part of the same django class, which means that the table joins
are transparent if you're using the ORM.  Upstreaming our model extensions
would certainly let us make this simpler for those doing SQL queries.  (And
upstreaming our model extensions would also let us better tailor the code in
various places which I've avoided touching because they would require
extensive changes to cope with our current subclassing.)

> Roles are still confusing (and not so much used). We need to improve
> this, so to delegate more.

What other roles are you looking for here?

> And IMHO we disclose too much information in schedule.

Fix in progress :)

Cheers,