Re: [Debconf-discuss] US SIMs in Seattle airport or Portland downtown

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 04:51:05PM -0400, Joseph Bisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure where to buy the SIM card (definitely the t-mobile or att
> stores would sell them, but I'm not sure about other stores), but in
> case you haven't seen it, the wiki has a page that compares the plans
> offered by different carriers.[0] If you do find a store other than
> t-mobile or att that sells sim cards, let us know, so that it can be
> added to the wiki. People attending Debconf generally seem to prefer
> the t-mobile pay per day, which includes unlimited talk and text. It
> is $3 or $2 per day depending on the data capabilities. You might be
> able to pay a little less with the pay as you go option.

> [0] - https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/MobilePhonesAndData

Unfortunately, the US hasn't caught on to the portable/exchangable SIM
thing. I, at least, have been unsuccessful in finding SIMs (outside of NYC)
for European visitors. Most cell plans have basically a "disposable" plan,
where you have to get a small, fairly worthless, phone as well as the SIM.

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net | harmoney@debian.org

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski