[Debconf-discuss] RIPE Atlas Probe at DebConf14

"With your help, the RIPE NCC is building the largest Internet measurement
network ever made. RIPE Atlas employs a global network of probes that measure
Internet connectivity and reachability, providing an unprecedented
understanding of the state of the Internet in real time." [1]

Hi,

In [2], I asked whether any DD would be distributing RIPE Atlas probes at DC14.
Since the answer appeared to be 'none', I took it upon myself to become a RIPE
Atlas Ambassador [3].  At DC14, there will be fourteen RIPE Atlas probes v3 [8]
available for distribution.  As a probe host [9], you would deploy the probe at
your home or place of work (get permission!): USB power and an Etherent port is
all that's needed.

In exchange for hosting a probe, you earn 'credits' [5] that you can spend on
custom measurements.  For example, with the credits I earn from my one probe, I
measure ping to planet.debian.org from 20 other probes around the world, giving
me a sense of latency to that website by users in different parts of the world.
My DSA colleagues (Martin, Peter and Tollef) like this so much that they've
become (or are in the process of becoming) probe hosts, too!

Ideally, these fourteen probes would find homes on autonomous systems [4] that
have no active probes, thereby maximizing their benefit to the RIPE Atlas
project.  If you are willing to host a probe, please send me a reply indicating
your AS number [6].  If I get more than 14 replies, I'll rank the requests by
count of probes on the AS as determined by querying the RIPE Atlas data [7].

Thanks,

Luca

[1]: https://atlas.ripe.net/
[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/05/msg00711.html
[3]: That's "His Excellency" to you! :)
[4]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_System_%28Internet%29
[5]: Full disclosure: as an Ambassador, I don't receive any additional credits
     for probes that I distribute.
[6]: Visit http://bgp.he.net/ from a machine on the network where the probe
     would live to determine the AS number.
[7]: https://atlas.ripe.net/results/maps/network-coverage/