Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Prices of transcription service

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 04:00:05AM +0000, Solveig wrote:
>
> > Well, it's probably too late, but it's still interesting to know how
> > much it would cost, it's always possible a sponsor wants to improve
> > Debian's accessibility :) And there seems to be Debconf in the US every
> > few years, so worst case the information is useful for future organizers.
>

> Actually, in the 15 year history of DebConf, this is only the second time
> that it has happened in the US. I'm currently unaware of any other US-based
> teams that are considering organizing in the future. Naturally, this could
> change, but it's unlikely.

some factoids:

geographic region isn't a blocker, it can be done remotely.

"(although she can do transcription remotely as well)."  - http://composition.al/blog/2014/05/31/your-next-conference-should-have-real-time-captioning/

PyCon 2013 used a cell phone jacked into the sound board, text came back in a web browser. I have no idea what protocol or anything more about this.)  (I hear voip is used too.)  (I hear the latency of the video stream creates a problem for someone trying to follow along at the event, but this very hearsay.)

Transcripts can be read later, like watching the recorded video.

Transcripts can be searched later, un-like video.

Transcripts can be translated later.

The transcript can be used to subtitle the recorded videos.  (it takes a little work to A) organize the project and B) sync the text to the video (((the transcript timestamps lag by an inconsistent amount.))))))

Mirabai Knight is awesome.    "Plover, a free, cross-platform steno engine that works with $45 hardware, offers hackers and hobbyists the ability to type at up to 240 WPM in applications ranging from wearable computing to captioning to coding." - http://pyvideo.org/speaker/286/mirabai-knight

github or it didn't happen:
https://github.com/openstenoproject/plover/

Here are some of her blog posts I enjoyed:
http://plover.stenoknight.com/2010/03/how-to-speak-with-your-fingers.html
http://plover.stenoknight.com/2014/03/guest-post-charless-diy-steno-keyboard.html