Re: [Debconf-discuss] btrfs deduplication / bedup users at DebConf13?

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Csillag Tamas
<cstamas@digitus.itk.ppke.hu> wrote:

> Zack told me in person that he only cares about linking multiple
> versions of the same package files only.

I found out very quickly that inter-package linking is also quite
efficient, as many files are heavily duplicated.

Specially when one source package generates many binary ones, it
copies some of the documentation files, such as the changelog, which
can be quite long.

A simple "hardlink -n /usr /var" on a test box here :

Files:    69290
Linked:   2144 files
Compared: 163199 files
Saved:    40.47 MiB
Duration: 159.29 seconds

Ouch: 1 sec per 1000 files. ( This was "benched" on a fairly anemic
VPS, so real hardware will be faster, yet I don't know how much. )

--
Steve Schnepp
http://blog.pwkf.org/tag/munin