Re: [Debconf-discuss] btrfs deduplication / bedup users at DebConf13?

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:26:32PM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> If you only need to use this coarse deduplication, then take a look at
> rdfind, instead of hardlink. Hardlink compares the files that are
> likely to be the same (e.g., same size) byte by byte, while rdfind
> uses hashes (md5 or sha1, at your option) to compare the files.

Right, I'm benchmarking this option as we speak. Given we already have
hashes (SHA256 in this case) in sources.d.n, it would be cool for us if
rdfind / hardlink / $your_tool_here can be fed external DB hashes. And
none of the tools I've looked at seem to do that. I'll probably look
into patching the one I'll end up choosing for that, but if you know of
a similar tool that can use an external hash db, just shout!

And thanks for all the useful feedback people have poured into this
thread.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .