Re: [Debconf-discuss] proposals for DebConf14 +

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:49:21PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> b) in lieu of the above, Debian itself would guarantee to contribute EUR
> 50,000 (or maybe more) to DebConf (currently it is cost-neutral for
> Debian) - so the bidders won't feel that they have to start with nothing
> each new DebConf year.

What do you mean with "contribute"?  Seed the bank account and get the
money back later, or actually contributing to the conference that
amount?

Either does not make a lot of sense to me in general, and certainly not
on that level.

> Furthermore, they will be able to go to local authorities, venues, etc
> and say "we have at least EUR 50,000 to spend and 300 people will
> come, will you help our event?" and it sounds a lot
> better than saying "we have no budget yet, but we want your help"

Who would say "we have no budget yet, but we want your help"?

Is there any evidence that this was actually a big problem with
prospective sponsors this year or at one of the last years?

> c) the bid teams would have to provide more evidence (e.g. final venue
> prices and at least one major sponsor, or evidence of government help)
> but those things would also be easier to get thanks to (b)

I co-organized a bid for Debconf11 which did not win.  It was already a
lot of work and time spent on it.

I don't think we can expect people to come up with a perfect, directly
executable bid for the bidding process, which would mean 1-3 other
perfect, directly exectuable bids are for the bin and potentially a lot
of time wasted that could be spent making Debian better or whatever.

> In particular, I don't think it is about blaming the venue, the country
> or the people, (is any country perfect?), it's just about optimizing the
> process

I know what would optimize the process.

Cheers,

Michael