Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Debian Kids Camp for DebConf-next

Comments on the issues raised by Gunnar and Gaudenz:

> However, I fear the effort might be too hard, and -want it or not-
> part of it will fall upon the shoulder of the DC13 locals. This time,

In fact, the locals (I'm only a semi-local, living in Zurich for 2 years
now and haven't been part of the original bid process) have made a bid
without any prior knowledge of this requirement.

Looking after children is not to be underestimated:
  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-18979032

In any commercial project, if a customer made a special request like
this after accepting a proposal, the project manager calls a meeting and
offers two choices, (1) pay more money or (2) throw request out the window.

So while it is a great idea, I don't think it is reasonable to put any
pressure on the local team after the community accepted their original
proposal.

That said, if other semi-locals (e.g. based in Europe and not already
commited to DebConf13 release critical issues) can commit time and
energy to planning the kids camp, it could be possible.  I'd suggest that

a) interested people should make a visit to the venue and the area to
work out issues with activities, facilities, etc
b) review of [survey] results (see below) to find out about
accommodation requirements/scarcity, kid quantity, etc
c) all planning should be done independently, but presented to the local
team for mutual acceptance at least 6 months before DebConf13
d) to justify the effort, people bringing kids may have to make some
advance commitment - just showing up with kids would be `unsupported'

On the other hand, maybe it SHOULD become part of the criteria for
DebConf14 and beyond: future local teams can offer to provide a Kids
Camp, and they need to talk about it in their proposal.

FOSDEM has a tour for partners: something like that could also become
part of the agenda for future DebConfs, once again, I think a [survey]
is needed to evaluate demand
  https://archive.fosdem.org/2012/fosdem-spousespartners-tour-0.html

> About accomodation: Not counting camping, we have space for 325 people
> in Le Camp. Being in Central Europe, it is not impossible that we get
> that number of attendees. Can we dare to provide lodging, possibly
> against our desired attendance?

There have been other queries about accommodation too.  I think the way
to address this, and other issues, is to run a [survey], so I'm starting
a separate thread on that subject.