Re: [Debconf-discuss] Tipps for traveling through USA with a braille display?

Hi Mario,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:52:11AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> There was a brief enquiry as to their purpose, so it was just as well
> that before we disembarked, we had powered up the units so that the
> purpose could be demonstrated quickly and easily from suspend. As soon
> as it was clear that this was just a purpose-built computer, it wasn't
> a problem.

Everything Neil and Guido said is great advice. They're 100% correct.

The one additional thing is, once the border officials are aware of what the
device is and why you have it, they'll probably be even more okay with it than
a typical uncommon electronic device. I know most countries pay some degree of
attention toward accommodating people's physical needs and differences, but
based on attitudes, laws, and possible PR backlash here, I think the US border
officials would really not want to be responsible for screwing that up.

Sam Hartman has crossed the US border enough times and may have more directly
relevant first-hand experiences to share.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org