Re: [Debconf-discuss] Customs clearance at Zagreb, BL

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:50:05 +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire <jmw@debian.org> wrote:
> At [1] I read that customs require proof of ownership for technical
> equipment.

In my experience, a notebook computer is these days routinely considered
a "personal item", as are phones, digital cameras, and other pieces of
electronics that you might routinely be expected to carry as a tourist.
The expectation for such personal items is that you plan to take them
back out of the country when you leave.

None of these are likely to be considered "technical equipment" in the
eyes of customs agents.

If you plan to carry something "unusual", like ham radio equipment,
physically large or expensive development tools that most random
travelers would not have with them, etc... then you might want to have
some explicit paperwork in hand.

With respect to medications, in well over a million flight miles, I have
never been hassled over carrying "normal quantities" of either
prescription or over-the-counter medicines with me in my luggage.  A
normal quantity in this case is more or less the amount that you might
be expected to need during your trip.

Bdale