Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Is arriving Friday 22nd ok?

Adnan Hodzic dijo [Mon, May 02, 2011 at 04:44:04PM +0200]:
> >> I said this before, and I'm saying it again, we *have* to be flexible
> >> with hotel dates,
> >
> > sorry, but this is *bullshit*.
> >
> > as the government will pay "everything", we probably *can* be flexible.
>
> Which they are, so in last two lines you're apparently contradicting yourself?

Government can absorb the financial costs, maybe it does not really
matter to us. But we cannot -organizationally- receive people arriving
at arbitrary dates. We are organizing a conference, that has been run
a certain way for many years, and and even if it does not make too
much sense given we don't have to worry too much about money
_this_time_, we cannot bend the process too badly - as we want people
not to assume the same next years. We should keep DebConf what it has
been, as it's the only thing we are able to sustain.

The organizational cost should be obvious by now: The fact that we are
arguing about what should be minor shows there is a nontrivial
impedance, that we are failing to communicate. And we really need good
communication.

Adnan, I know the stress that can put in you trying to make your
country shine, and trying to get us Debianers to love it. Really, I
was in a very very similar position, and I also took many decisions on
my own when we held DC6 in Mexico, because I felt I could judge
situations and I could control things and all. And, I must keep
recognizing, even though in the end the conference was quite
successful, due to overconfidence we were very close to not having a
conference at all! Please try to trust a bit more our gray
beards... They have a reason to be gray after all :)

> >> We have to come up with solution for this stuff.
> >
> > no. there is no problem. we are organizing a conference, we offer *free stuff*
> > for *certain developers* provided they register *on time*. we dont have to
> > give out candy.
>
> Mark my words and this is not the point, I never promised candy, but
> what if I get free beer?

There Is No Such Thing As Free Beer.

> What I suggest to you, and generally global team is to get your hands
> dirty instead of just criticizing stuff *we* do. I'm tired of doing
> things done, and you guys criticizing it.
>
> Do whatever you want, I'm out of this topic.

I do not feel there has been contradiction in this point. We have
repeatedly asked you _not_ to offer things beyond what we agree as a
_whole_ team. We have never had the strange local/global split we are
having this year. We need to act as _a_single_ team. Decisions should
be consulted and kept, even if some of us don't agree - And if you
want to make registrations completely open, or you want to give Free
Stuff™, or whatever... Please! We have to make it a joint
decision. It's not just about DebConf 11 in Bosnia, which will rock
and be great, but at keeping DebConf organizable for the future.